Rockport Vikings Boys Soccer '11

Browner's late goal lifts Royals

LYNN - The Georgetown and Rockport boys soccer teams each unleashed two minutes of offensive fury Thursday at Manning Field. The difference in the EMass Div. 3 North showdown between Cape Ann League rivals, which was played in a steady rain, came down to which team would capitalize on that relentless offensive pressure. Around the 11 minute mark of the second half, the No. 1 seeded Royals began their onslaught on Rockport keeper Eric Littlefield. It ended with midfielder Ryan Browner receiving a Matt Bitchell cross at the right top of the goal box and booming it just below the crossbar to give Georgetown a 1-0 advantage. Rockport’s two-minute drill waited until the 78th and 79th minute as the Vikings nearly got a head on AJ Burnham’s free kick and CJ Burnham’s deflection of a ball nearly found its way over the head of Georgetown goaltender Ben Warren. In the end, however, the Vikings couldn’t capitalize and Georgetown earned a 1-0 victory and a trip to Saturday’s EMass Div. 3 North Finals (3 p.m. at Manning Field in Lynn). “All I can say is, ‘Wow,’” drained Georgetown head coach Chris DiFranco exclaimed. “We knew coming in that this would be a one goal game. It was just a matter of who would score that goal. Ryan (Browner), a five-year varsity player for us, was the one. It was the biggest goal of our season.” The Royals knocked on the door early, getting seven quality looks at the Rockport net in the first half compared to the Vikings’ two. Browner nearly got Georgetown on the board in the first half but his corner kick in the 36th minute was swatted away by a leaping Littlefield. The Vikings best first half scoring opportunity came just a minute earlier when Conor Douglass’ corner kick wound up right in front of the net but there was too much traffic for Rockport to get a good foot on it. “It’s hard to believe we don’t have practice tomorrow,” Rockport head coach Dave Curley said. “I thought our team did an awesome job defending and Eric Littlefield came up with every big play we needed him to. It just didn’t happen for us.” The majority of action to start the second half was played in the middle of the field with neither team getting a solid shot at the net. But Georgetown would crank things up and got eight good shots in the second frame compared to Rockport’s five. Max Harper, John Laut, Chris Birnie, Bitchell and Browner all got several strong shots off, including one Birnie offering that missed just wide right. With Littlefield finally cheating up on Bitchell’s cross, Browner sent a line drive over the Rockport keepers’ head and into the net. “We practiced that sequence all week with me getting that cross,” Browner said. “At halftime we just said ‘this can’t be our last game’ and we just wanted it more at that moment.” The No. 4 seeded Vikings finished the year 14-5-2 while Georgetown improved to 17-1-3.

Read More »
Boys Soccer, 11/10/11 » 0 Comments & 0.0 Stars

Hornets are in

Veteran assistant Joe Davis suggested that Chris Schipelliti take on a defensive role and it was a wise move indeed. Behind Schipelliti, the Hornets were impenetrable in a 2-0 win over Rockport. The win in the season finale clinched a tourney berth for the Hornets. Nic Andre made two terrific saves in the shutout.

Read More »
Boys Soccer, 11/02/11 » 0 Comments & 0.0 Stars

North Andover clinches share of crown

North Andover boys soccer made its final season in the Cape Ann League special, clinching at least a share of the CAL Division 1 title with a 4-1 victory over Rockport last night.

Read More »
Boys Soccer, 10/25/11 » 0 Comments & 0.0 Stars