Rockport Vikings Boys Soccer '07

Sun, Nov 04, 2007 01:00 PM @ Shawsheen
Team 1st 2nd Final
Playoff Game
Rockport 1 0 1
Shawsheen 1 1 2

Rockport falls in heartbreaker to Shawsheen

  • Currently 0.0 with 0 votes.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Monday, November, 05 By Rich Slate
Staff writer

The downside of the state tournament is that ultimately every team, except for one in each division, is left unhappy.

In the first round of the Division 3 North boys soccer state tournament, No. 17 Rockport (9-9-2) traveled to No. 1 Shawsheen (12-2-5) yesterday. The Vikings gave the Rams everything they could handle, but still fell 2-1, ending their season.

Afterwards, Rockport head coach Dave Curley couldn't have been any happier with his team's effort on the day.

"I've been saying all year long, if we can walk off the field and say we gave our best effort, then that's all I can ask of them," said Curley of his team. "The ball didn't bounce our way, it's as simple as that."

The Rams put the Vikings behind the eight-ball right away as they scored just three minutes into the game. Rockport misplayed the ball in the back and Shawsheen pounced on a loose ball in the box to convert an easy goal.

Rockport star Derek Osmond looked poised to tie it in the 14th minute, but his header soared over.

A little later, the Vikings' senior goalie Colby Osier was hurt in the 19th minute, as a Shawsheen forward crashed into his knee. Osier came out for the remainder of the game and freshman Keady Segal (eight saves) played well in relief. The two keepers had split the games (one half each) for a majority of the season.

Osmond had another good chance in the 25th minute but he misfired wide. Rockport finally broke through in the 39th minute with a goal. Sophomore striker Michael Emerson took a corner kick that was headed in by senior striker Florian Roell. Roell was the first to the ball, as he directed it into the corner.

"They scored a fluke goal there in the first half," said Curley. "We had more than enough opportunities to finish but it wasn't there today. I guess our luck ran out."

Early in the second half, Rockport senior defender Matt Hendy cleared a dangerous ball off the goal line. A minute later, Viking senior midfielder Cory Emerson walked in on a partial breakaway but shot it over the net.

The Rams scored the game-winner in the 53rd minute as a Shawsheen player hustled to the end line and crossed it out front for a one-time volley.

Rockport pressed forward for another tying goal, but couldn't come up with the score.

In the 65th minute, the Vikings headed the ball over Shawsheen goalie Mike LaMonica (six saves). A few minutes later, Viking midfielder Tom Carbone volleyed just wide. The last opportunity was for the Rams, who took a rip from outside the 18-yard line that Segal tipped over the crossbar.

"We got caught offsides a few times that hurt us," said Curley. "They scored a real nice goal in the second half. There's a reason why they're the No. 1 seed, they're a good team but we can certainly play with them."

Time ran out on the Vikings season but they have no reason to hold their heads down.

"Unfortunately, there isn't another game to be played," Curley acknowledged. "It's been a great run, we've had a great season. I'm really proud of the kids and the season they've had."

0 Story Comments